I know, I know, I haven't done very good keeping up with this flashback Friday thing, so I thought I would attempt it again. So here goes.
When I was probably in like 3rd or 4th grade. My friend and I would help out in the lunch room for a treat. There used to be a garbage can lid over a garbage can with little holes all over in it. The rule was, when you finished your little carton of milk or juice, you were supposed to dump it out on that lid. The holes were to strain the juice and the lid was to catch all the straws. Our job was to fish through the nasty lid of left over juice and dig all the straws out and throw them in a separate garbage can. Then at the end of lunch some janitor guy would give us a treat! He probably was the one that was supposed to do it, and thought he could bribe us kids with treats. He knew how to work the system. I mean come on, he would give us one of those large bags of fruit snacks! Yummy! Who wouldn't want to do it! We volunteered everyday. I guess I didn't really pay attention to the rule of never taking candy from a stranger. But here I am, 15 years later still alive. I knew the janitor man wasn't dangerous! :)
Also, when I was probably in 5th or 6th grade, I had another incident with gum. This was beyond the years of scrounging the road for it. I think at this point my mom had given in just a bit, as long as it wasn't bubble gum because of course that rots your teeth. Or so that is what she always said! :) Anyway, we weren't allowed to eat gum in class and for some reason I thought I would brave it out and be sneaky and hide it in my mouth. Well I had to ask my teacher a question and was so nervous that she would catch me, so I took the gum out of my mouth prior to talking to her. Nevermind I could have put the gum in a piece of paper or something, instead I stuck it straight in my pocket. I figured if I could do as little movement as possible I would still be able to peel the edges away from my pocket afterward. Most kids probably would have just swallowed it, but not me. I wasn't going to have something sitting in my belly taking years to digest! It did end up getting more smashed in my pocket than I had anticipated, so all day long I was peeling bits and pieces of stickiness out of my pocket. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to be a good student!
2 comments:
haha! I remember that garbage can and the janitor too...didn't he end up being some creepy man? And the gum in the pocket? Priceless! You and gum, Court. And then there were the times you'd leave it in your pocket and let it go through the wash....oh Court. You have some great stories! I love your flashback Fridays!
Why do I not know any of this about you? I guess I was too wrapped up in my own junior high/ high school life to know all these gross and hilarious facts about you! Keep 'em coming!!
Post a Comment